An update on service and support for the first generation goTenna Pro Deployment Kit
Based on feedback and our mission to deliver best-in-class mesh networking products that serve our customers, we recently released goTenna Pro Deployment Kit 2 (also commonly known as goKit 2). This new product includes a removable and ruggedized Samsung tablet, increased layers of security, expedited setup time, and the ability to serve as a command node on the goTenna mesh network. It replaces its predecessor, the goTenna Pro Deployment Kit, or goKit 1, which was released in 2018.
As we transition our resources to providing and improving the enhanced functionality of the next generation of goKit products, you can still rely on our team to support you. Here are the next steps for your product and what you can expect from our team.
Transitioning away from goKit 1
All of these changes that we implemented in goKit 2 were a result of our customer feedback. Due to the increased demand for goKit 2, we will no longer be providing hardware or software updates on the first-generation goTenna Pro Deployment Kit (or “goKit 1”) on September 30th, 2023 (13 months). Please note that the goKit 1 will continue to store and charge the devices, but the computer-based functionality within the lid of the goKit 1 will no longer function after September 30th, 2023.
Which version do I have?
End of support for goKit 1
Upgrading to a new kit is not required to maintain all current capabilities. Review our options below for information on how functionality is shifting to meet customer demand.
During the support period (9/6/22-9/30/23):
- Active warranties will be honored per the customer’s original warranty agreement. Out-of-warranty physical repairs to goKit 1 units will be available at goTenna’s discretion.
- Critical bug fixes, radio firmware updates, and other software updates will be made available at goTenna’s discretion during the support period.
- SSL certificates for the goKit 1 will be active during the support period.
- Support for future goTenna Pro X radio versions will be supported at goTenna’s discretion. Only support for the original goTenna Pro and goTenna Pro X radios during the support period is guaranteed.
After the support period (As of 10/1/23):
- What will stay the same:
- goKit 1 units will continue to operate as the protective carrying case and charging dock after the support period concludes.
- What will change:
- Physical repairs for goKit 1 will be discontinued. However, active warranties will be honored per the original warranty agreement.
- Critical bug fixes, radio firmware updates, and other software updates will no longer be published.
- SSL certificate updates will no longer be provided. The deployment features and firmware update functionality in the onboard computer will cease to function after the support period concludes.
- Support for future goTenna Pro X radio versions will not be available.
Extending the service life of goKit 1
While native goKit 1 app features will stop functioning after the support period, customers will have a few options to extend the life of their goKits.
- Option 1: Request the latest ATAK Plugin
- Existing goKit 1 owners may request free access to deployment features in our latest ATAK plugin (v1.6.3) that was featured in the goKit 2 release. This will allow goKit 1 users to use any android device running ATAK to maintain the deployment functionality of their goKit v past the support period. Users will also enjoy the benefits of being able to deploy a full deployment pack which is offered in goKit 2, allowing for quick deployment of frequency sets, data packages, maps, encryption keys, and PLI intervals. One license will be provided at no cost to existing goKit owners. Note that this will require that the device be logged into the goTenna Management Portal.
- Option 2: Trade in your existing goKit 1 to get a goKit 2 at a reduced cost. You will also receive an additional 4 goTenna Pro X2 devices as part of the upgrade.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions or would like to pursue the next steps.
Questions and support
Thank you for your continued support, and for allowing us to help serve you and your mission. If you have any questions or you’d like to explore upgrade options for the goKit 1, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Director of Customer Experience | goTenna